A task force constituted by the Centre to suggest policy measures to boost the animation, visual effects, gaming and comics sector in India has recommended the launching of a ‘create in India’ campaign among other measures.
The panel which was headed by Secretary, Ministry of I & B, Shri Apurva Chandra also comprised Secretaries of ministries like Skill Development, Department of Higher Education, MeITY and DPIIT and many prominent experts.
Here are the recommendations made by the panel to boost the AVGC sector:
- Domestic Industry Development for Global Access
- A National AVGC-XR Mission with a budget outlay to be created for integrated promotion & growth of the AVGC sector.
- Launch of a ‘Create in India’ campaign with exclusive focus on content creation, In India, For India & For World!
- With a goal to make India the global hub for AVGC, institute an International AVGC Platform, along with a Gaming Expo) with focus on FDI, Co-production treaties and Innovation.
- Establish a National Centre of Excellence (COE) for the AVGC sector to become an international reference point across Skilling, Education, Industry Development and Research & Innovation for the AVGC sector. Regional COEs will be instituted in collaboration with the State Governments to provide access to local industries and to promote local talent and content.
- Developing Talent ecosystem to realize Demographic Dividends
- Leverage NEP to develop creative thinking with dedicated AVGC course content at school levels, to build foundational skills and to create awareness about AVGC as a career choice.
- Launch AVGC focused UG/ PG courses with standard curriculum and globally recognized degrees. Standardize admission tests for AVGC related courses (viz, MECAT by MESC).
- With an eye on the demand of 20 Lakh skilled professionals in AVGC sector in this decade, augment skilling initiatives for AVGC sector under MESC. Enhance Industry participation to ensure employment opportunities and absorption for students from non-metro cities and NE states.
- Establish AVGC Accelerators and Innovation hubs in academic institutions, on lines of Atal Tinkering Labs.
- Enhancing Technology & Financial Viability for Indian AVGC Industry
- Democratize AVGC technologies by promoting subscription-based pricing models for MSME, Start-Ups and institutions.
- Made in India for AVGC technologies through incentive schemes for R&D and IP creation. Evaluate PLI scheme to incentivize AVGC hardware manufacturers.
- Enhanced Ease of Doing Business in AVGC sector i.e tax benefits, import duties, curbing piracy, etc.
- Leverage Start-Up India to provide technical, financial and market access assistance to AVGC entrepreneurs to promote culture of R&D and local IP Creation.
- Raising India’s soft power through an Inclusive growth
- Establish a dedicated Production Fund for domestic content creation from across India to promote Indian culture & heritage globally. Evaluate Reservation for high-quality indigenous content by broadcasters.
- For an Inclusive India, target skilling and industry outreach for youth in Tier 2 & 3 towns and villages in India. Establish Special incentives for women entrepreneurs in AVGC sector.
- Promote local Children’s channels for raising awareness on rich culture and history of India among children and youth
- Establish framework to ensure Child Rights Protection in the digital world
- For a comprehensive and consistent implementation of the AVGC Task Force recommendations, draft of the National Policy for AVGC Sector Potential Realization and draft of Model State Policy for AVGC sector initiatives at State level have also been prepared.
- Hon’ble Minister for Information and Broadcasting, Shri Anurag Thakur, was presented the Task Force Report on ‘Realising AVGC-XR (Animation, Visual Effects, Gaming and Comics – Extended Reality) Sector Potential in India’ on 22nd December, 2022, by Shri Apurva Chandra, Chairman of the Task Force, which was constituted for Promotion of AVGC (Animation, Visual Effects, Gaming and Comics) Sector in India.
- Now, the Ministry along with the other concerned Ministries will process the implementation of the recommendations in this report. The draft policies for growth of the AVGC-XR Sector, both of National and State Level, will be key to aid the growth of the M&E industry in general, and AVGC sector in particular, eventually contributing to India’s growth as an AVGC hub.